Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Daler Rowney - Make Your Mark Competition

They say if you don't buy a ticket you can't win the raffle. In a moment of madness I entered the Daler Rowney - Make Your Mark Competition way back in in October 08, I received an email in January to say I had been short listed. I could not even remember entering, let alone what work I had entered! Apparently there were over 1400 entries.

Just discovered I was a runner up in the Education Section with a piece from my Foundation panel "The Three Faces of Blackpool".

The winner was a Turkish artist Engin Dogan with his painting "Mongol" (Obviously being PC isn't an issue in Turkey). My congratulations, it was a very accomplished portrait with a very distinctive contemporary style.

What did the winner get? Two nights in London and a day with acclaimed artist Annie Kevans. Plus a year's subscription of the Artist magazine. And work displayed in the Mall Gallery!

What did I win? Well I thought it was Zilch, but I have, since my initial posting, discovered that I will have my work displayed in the Mall Gallery in London, the home of the Federation of British Artists, for 7 days, from 5th to 11th July 2009. This will be accompanied by a national press launch, so I am well chuffed.

The Chairman of the judges was the internationally acclaimed artist Romeo di Girolamo, President Royal Society British Artists. The other three judges were Annie Kevans, Patrick Giraud CEO of Daler Rowney and Stephen Doherty, Editor-in-Chief and Publisher of American Artist, Watercolor, Drawing, and Workshop magazines.

Romero di Girolamo said “This new competition demonstrates that art is thriving all over the world. The standard of entries was exceptionally high and to have entries from five continents means the competition is truly international. It was particularly pleasing to see so many entries from young people showing that art has a great future and is in safe hands. We hope the competition will inspire more people to paint and make their mark".


The Three Faces of Blackpool - Acrylic Transfer on Board

See www.alisterparkerart.com

No comments: